Naturally I want to do something about this. I have been getting annoyingly persistent suggestions from my co-workers that I should just shave my head, a prospect I am not very keen on - it just seems like it would too much of a hard look for a hippie like me, even a balding one. And I still can't get the skinheads out of my head from when I was growing up in the 80s (not that I ever actually dealt with them personally, thankfully). Of course, some of my co-workers pointed out that I wouldn't come across as a racist because of my Jewish ancestry, socially progressive views and because I routinely hang out with persons of color. This all may be true, but I still can't shake the association.*
* This does not, incidentally, extend towards the thousands of people I have come to know since the 80s who shave their heads. I don't necessarily see Jason Statham as a racist, for example, and not just because he could kick my ass six ways to Sunday.
If you opened this, FILL IT OUT! Learn 45 things about your friends, and let them learn 45 things about you!
- Do you like cheese?
Cheese! I just love cheese! Really, I do. In fact, I have a nice, stinky bleu in the fridge that I think I'm going to attack because of this very question!
- Have you ever done heroin?
Good heavens, no. I wouldn't mind doing a heroine, though! Okay, horrendous pun, mea culpa!
- Do you own a bike?
No. I would get one if I had someplace to put it, though.
- What are you doing tonight?
Not sure as yet... may be going with Russ and Jess to see The French Connection at the Film Forum or hanging out with aerolyndt, maybe something else...
- Do you get nervous before doctor appointments?
- What do you think of hot dogs?
I like 'em, even though I know they're just lips and assholes. With the red onion shit.
- What's your favorite Christmas song?
As a Tower Records employee who worked four Christmases, I can say that I have sampled much of the Christmas offerings. My favorite of them all would have to be the Vince Guaraldi version of "The Little Drummer Boy" that is included on A Charlie Brown Christmas (which I also consider to be one of the best Christmas albums, period, along with Herbert Von Karajan's Christmas Adagio, nice because it avoids all the usual crap).
- What do you prefer to drink in the morning?
Water... sometimes coffee, or ice coffee in the summer.
- Can you do push ups?
Is that like a fruit roll up?
- Is your bathroom clean?
In general. It could actually use a decent scrubbing right now.
- What's your favorite pieces of jewelry?
I don't wear jewelry.
- Do you have friends?
Yes, many of them... and they all tasted wonderful. > belch <
- Do you miss someone?
Yes, I do.
- Middle name?
Weren't my parents creative?
- Name 3 thoughts at this exact moment.
- Damn, I have a lot of CDs.
- Babylon 5 is the crazy missing link of genre television.
- I'm feeling so lazy...
- Damn, I have a lot of CDs.
- Name the last 3 things you have bought.
A pin for my mother ("I ♥ my rotten, ungrateful children"), some cheese and carrots (both white and purple) for myself.
- Name 3 drinks you regularly drink:
Water, ice coffee, coffee...
- Current worry?
What to do tonight?
- Current hate?
New Jersey drivers. I know you guys aren't used to making left turns or dealing with any sort of density, but you should admit that to yourselves and stop driving in New York. You can't do it. Everybody knows you can't. Stop wasting our time trying.
- Favorite place to be?
- How did you bring in the New Year?
I don't remember... I know I went to some party, because Art asked me that day to come record a voice for his flash animation short.
- Where would you like to go?
- Are you hungry?
See the above comment about the stinky bleu cheese.
- What made you laugh last?
Something Londo (Peter Jurasik) said on Babylon 5.
- Do you own slippers?
Yes, they say "Bates Motel" on them... I never use them, though.
- What shirt are you wearing?
I'm not. I'm topless as I type this. Ladies, control your lust at the thought.
- Do you burn or tan?
- Favorite color?
- Would you be a pirate?
Only if I could have decent health coverage (including dental).
- What songs do you sing in the shower?
Heh... the Superman march comes up a lot, anything from The Thirteenth Warrior or The Wind and the Lion (even before the expanded score came out), the Prisoner theme... maybe you shouldn't have asked...
- What did you have for lunch?
Nothing, yet, but I will once again refer you to the stinky bleu cheese comment.
- Name someone who has changed your life.
I can give a rather serious answer to this, strangely enough. When I was in high school, I found myself noticing that I gravitated more towards film music than I did any sort of pop. At one point, I was over at Brandon's house with jailnurse, and an episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation was on in the background. During a lull in the conversation, I commented that the music for the episode must have been written by Dennis McCarthy as it employed the Captain Picard theme (the march form of which, originally intended as the Next Generation theme, closes off the "Encounter at Farpoint" soundtrack album). Brandon's reaction was, "who cares?" but jailnurse shrugged and just said that "soundtracks are his thing." I never bothered trying to justify my interest since then, I just like what I like.
- What's in your pocket right now?
Pursuant to the previous question about my shirt, I must reveal that I am also not wearing any pants. Please, ladies, exercise some self-control, you're embarrassing yourselves.
- Best bed sheets as a child?
Er... clean ones?
- Worst injury you've ever had?
I once fell off of my bicycle and injured my arm in some way that I couldn't use it for several weeks. It wasn't broken, it just hurt a lot.
- How many TVs do you have in your house?
Just the one, and I don't have cable or anything, it's just for watching VHS tapes, laserdiscs and DVDs on at the moment. Hopefully by the end of the year, I will have a combo HD-DVD and Blu-Ray player.
- Who is your loudest friend?
They can all get loud at different points.
- Who is your most silent friend?
Same answer, only change "loud" to "silent."
- Do you wish on shooting stars?
It makes very little sense to wish on fragments of rock burning up in our atmosphere.
- What is your favorite movie?
I don't have any one favorite movie, and I know that the moment I start making desert island lists, Rod Serling will show up and put me on a desert island with ten movies, ten books and ten records for the rest of my life. And in black and white, too.
- What is your favorite candy?
Those chocolate covered cherries from Harry and David's.
- What song do/did you want played at your wedding?
The theme from Once Upon a Time in the West by Ennio Morricone.
- What song do you want played at your funeral?
"Siegfried's Death and Funeral March" by Richard Wagner, as the longship holding my body is burned.
- What were you doing at 12 AM last night?
Speaking with suitboyskin
- What was the first thing you thought of when you woke up?
"I have to pee... but should I play with this first?" Do not ask questions you do not want to hear the answers to.
- You're in the hospital, who on your top 8 comes to visit you?
I try to avoid being in the hospital at all costs.
- If alcohol were banned, what would your reaction be?
I'm not that big of a drinker anyway.
- Your CD collection is repossessed but you keep one, which one?
If you try to touch my CD collection without my permission you will die a slow and very painful death, sad and alone, and only your fleas shall mourn you.
- Do you believe world peace is possible?
Impossible. Human beings behave like what they are, tribal primates. Natural selection has made us very competitive along tribal (read: nationalistic, religious, political) lines. It is daft to think that we, as a species, can handle this type of population density.
- I'm a genie. Name your wish.
World peace! Just kidding. Probably an Artoo unit to clean and fix stuff.
- Name one thing about the opposite sex that automatically turns you off?
Fake boobs or lips. I can't stand that shit.
- Name one thing about the opposite sex that automatically turns you on?
- Speaking of same sex, what did you think about Brokeback Mountain?
You know, I still haven't seen it. It's on my Netflix, just haven't gotten there yet. I certainly didn't think the score was worth a fucking Oscar, though.
- What are you obsessive about?
Film music. I also have some sort of OCD thing that causes me to fill in the loops of my letters when I'm doodling.
- What cell phone service do you have?
Sprint. Savor the irony.
- Do people underestimate you?
I have a blue collar job. Constantly.
- When you're in a bad mood, what will always put you in a better mood?
A Jerry Goldsmith adventure score, David Shire's Max Dugan Returns, Michael Nyman's Drowning by Numbers (yeah, I don't get that one either).
- Honestly, do you talk about myspace in real LIFE?
I'm barely on it when I'm online.
- Have you met someone online in person?
Yes. hadara, for example.
- What do you want to accomplish by the end of the school year?
Assuming you mean next June... er... a lot of things, but they're dependent upon others.
- Do you believe minimum wage should be raised?
Very much so.
- Who was the last person who made you feel better?
- Do you have any really crazy relatives?
"Well, my uncle thought he was Saint Jerome." My whole family is crazy in some form or another. Look at me, for Pete's sake.
- Pretend you're 15 deep in beers. Describe what you would be doing?
I loathe beer with a fiery passion equal to a thousand suns going supernova.
- Does everyone in your life know the real you?
Everybody knows me... maybe different aspects, but they're all me.
- Last thing you said about a guy/girl?
"Holy shit." (Russ knew what I was talking about)
- What is the most ridiculous fear you have?
My zombie phobia... but as I said, better a ridiculous fear than a plausible situation, right?
- Do you know anyone in prison?
Brad spent a night in prison once...
- When is the last time you ate Peanut butter and jelly?
Not since I was a child. I'm not a big fan of grape jelly, and I certainly don't like the combination.
- When did you last have a home cooked meal?
- Have you ever gotten naked at a party?
Kind of. It was a small gathering... skinny dipping ensued. Nothing else, though. Bitches.
- Name who you miss?
- Are you named after a grandparent?
That is Jewish tradition, after all...
- Who loves you?
Only those for whom the feeling is mutual, I believe.
- Do you throw up gang signs?
Ask me someday about the "TMR SUCKS" story...
- Have you ever broken a rib?
Never broken a bone.
- Last song you heard?
"The Lord of the Riff" from The Wind and the Lion by Jerry Goldsmith
- What was the last thing you ate?
A purple carrot.
- How do you feel RIGHT now?
- Did you go anywhere today?
Not as yet.
- Whats your hair like?
Centauri. See photo above.
- Would you ever work for border patrol?
- What car were you in last?
The Bronze Mist, of course.
- How many phone numbers do you have memorized?
Very few. Fewer each day.
- What High School are you going to?
Er... something tells me that this survey is meant for a slightly different age group...
- Are you going to homecoming?
I still don't know what that means.
- Have you ever been star gazing?
Indeed I have.
- Is your birthday on a holiday?
Sometimes it falls on Labor Day. Not today.
- Are you old enough to vote?
- Do you have any friends or family in the war right now?
No, thank goodness.
- Are you a vegetarian?
Good heavens, no. That just wouldn't be right. Humans are omnivores, not herbivores.
- Do you worry about global warming?
Worry? No. It's happening, and eventually we'll see the effects. No point in worrying about something that I doubt can be changed, even if everybody was on the same page about it.
- Do you like polar bears?
From afar. Actually, a few weeks ago I was at the Bronx Zoo, and the polar bear was having a grand old time swimming about and tossing his ball up in the air. He seemed to be the happiest animal there.
- Do you like alligators?
They're not the most cuddly of beasts.
- What slang word do you call marijuana?
Well, I never refer to it as "shit," but most of the other euphemisms have indeed been used by myself at one point or another. I've even invented a few.
- Do you have to get your wisdom teeth out?
I still have them.
- Ashley or Mary-Kate?
The one that isn't anorexic, as that one is only good for soup stock.
- Do you wear your sweetie's clothes?
I'll let you know when I have a sweetie, thanks.
- Where were you one hour ago?
- Life... How do you feel about it?
It is, therefore I am.
- Have you ever logged on to your bf/gf/crush's Myspace page?
I rarely do anything on MySpace, I must admit.
- Which do you enjoy more: Soccer or Hockey?
Soccer. Though I must admit that I'm not wild about any sport, really.
- Name someone you love.
Eliza Dushku. Did I just say that out loud?
- Would you rather have a million dollars or true love?
True love. A million dollars might be soft but give you a lot of paper cuts in sensitive places when one tries to have sex with it.
- Which of your myspace friends has a naughty piercing?
I believe one or two of them do.
- Is your boyfriend/girlfriend a marine?
I don't have a girlfriend. Nor a boyfriend, for that matter.
- Are you currently in a relationship?
Shouldn't you have asked me that before you asked all those relationship questions?
- Would you rather date someone 2 years younger or older?
- What's your favorite junk food?
Chocolate Avalanche Payday.
- Who was the last person who texted you?
- Do you know what you're wearing the 1st day of school?
Not... in... school... anymore...
- Are you taller than 5'6"?