This is not my mother.
This post from gislebertus reminded me of what I considered an interesting tidbit from my Alma Mater.
When I first started attending Queens College, I became aware that the New Science Facility (NSF), was referred to by the student body (and most of the professors as well) as No Fucking Windows (NFW).
The reason why the school constructed a building with no windows is because in the 60s the students took over Powdermaker Hall and were using the underground passages beneath the campus to smuggle food to the protesters. Thus, the New Science Facility was designed to have no access to the tunnels, no windows and have stairwells wide enough for anti-personnel tanks. Furthermore, the tunnels themselves were sealed up. Of course, the 60s became the 70s, and student activism became a shadow of its former self.
I mentioned this to my mother at one point. She had a very wistful smile, and informed me that she was one of the students bringing the protesters food. I immediately thought that this would be a great urban exploration situation, with my mother as Sean Connery in The Rock, showing my friends and I how to get around down there. Unfortunately, it was not to be. She informed me that trying to get her to recall directions in an underground maze from over twenty years prior was not something that was going to be happening.
A few assorted items in brief:
- I have updated both the Sandcastles and Breadcrumbs entry to reflect the changes I made to the master on Monday, as well as its appearance on my mix list. I didn't want to do it until I was satisfied that all of the changes that I made were good ones, and I have been listening to this version and am much happier with it than I was with the original version. I will be sending out replacement copies to those who have gotten the old version. As much as I loved "A Face of Sand," it's a better listen with "Mumia Attack" (which itself evokes The Wind and the Lion, never a bad thing).
- While I have issues with the vMobile program that we use to dispatch and status our jobs, one of the things I like very much about it is the ability to make notes in the log. The exchange carrier of one of my jobs complained that I had no accessed a repair, and tried to make a big dael out of it with my second line manager. Unfortunately for them, I had documented the whole situation as it was happening in the log, and the fact that I was instructed by one of their technicians to no access the job (along with the guy's name and extension) completely cleared my name. Not that it was terribly sullied, my first line manager was on my side, if a bit freaked that he was getting a customer complaint about me of all his techs.
- This meme on revelos55's journal has reminded me that I never posted my answers to the alphabet meme from a few weeks ago. I'll work on that this weekend and then will attack the new one. Speaking of which...
Yoinked from revelos55:
1) What side of the heart do you draw first? Left.
2) Can you dive without plugging your nose? I can't dive.
3) What color is your phone? My phone is black. My work BlackBerry is black with silver trim.
4) Who would you want to be tied to for 24 hours? Eliza Dushku.
5) Where are you right now? Work hole.
6) How do you feel about carrots? I love 'em raw and when they're candied.
7) How many chairs at the dining room table? I don't have a dining room.
8) Who is the best Spice Girl? Pop band or the cable channel that one could sometimes decode by pressing "0" repeatedly on the remote?
9) Do you know what time it is? Yes I do.
10) What would you do if you were stuck in an elevator? Listen to my iPod, make phone calls, read a book. After a certain period, I'd probably start trying to figure out a way to get out of the elevator and into a bathroom.
11) What's your favorite kind of gum? I don't really have one, I'm usually only buying gum as an emergency breath correction.
12) T or F: All is fair in love and war? Absolutely false.
13) Do you have a crush on anyone? Too soon to really tell.
14) Do you use words that you don't know the meaning to? Absolutely not.
15) Do you like to sleep? I love to sleep.
16) Do you know which US states don't use Daylight Savings? I know about some of them because I've had friends that have lived in them and keeping track of the time difference was a royal pain in the derrière.
17) Do you know the song Total Eclipse of the Heart? Yes, I've heard it.
18) Do you want a bright yellow '06 mustang? Frankly, anything would be an improvement over The Bronze Mist at this juncture.
19) What's something you've always wanted? An Artoo unit.
20) Would you rather swim in the ocean or a lake? I don't have a preference. The ocean has those neat waves, while a lake often has nicer foliage.
21) Do you wear a lot of black? I have a few black items in my wardrobe, but I don't go out of my way to wear it.
22) Describe your hair: Short at present, dirty blonde. Strangely, there is more of it now than there was before I shaved my head... my hairline de-receded!!!
23) Are you an adult? Sort of.
24) Who is/are your best friend(s): They know who they are!
25) Do you have a tan? I'm got a bit of color at the Ren Faire a few weeks ago.
26) Are you a television addict? Not live television.
27) Do you enjoy spending time with your mom? Absolutely.
28) Are you a sugar freak? I do have a sweet tooth, but I wouldn't necessarily brand myself a "sugar freak."
29) What is your favorite movie? I don't have any one specific favorite movie. Any such pronouncement would be contradicted within hours.
30) What's your sign? Do Not Enter. (this was revelos55's answer, but it was perfect, so I stole it)
31) Where do you wish you were right now? Cavorting with the wild women of Planet Playtex.
32) Who did you copy this from? revelos55.
33) How do you know them? They roommate with suitboyskin.
34) What brand of shirt are you wearing? "Gildan," it's my Monty Python "Ministry of Funny Walks" T-Shirt.
35) What are your plans for the weekend? Nate's party on Saturday is confirmed, but plans to see Hair at the Public Theater appear to be in flux.
FOUR MOVIES I HAVE WATCHED OVER AND OVER
1. The original Star Wars trilogy
3. Dr. Strangelove, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
4. Young Frankenstein
FOUR TV SHOWS I LIKE TO WATCH: (currently on tv)
1. Battlestar Galactica
2. Doctor Who
4. * There is no fourth show currently on that I watch *
FOUR PLACES I WOULD RATHER BE RIGHT NOW:
1. Working on a TV or movie set
2. Making a new mix
3. Middle Earth