My buzzer was M.I.A., and while we had a spare lying around down here, it was only good for continuity as it wouldn't generate tone (actually it would, but it wasn't sending the tone to the leads, making it pretty useless). I also picked up a couple of tie wraps and Krone rocketships.
Krone makes a type of terminal block (pictured at right) that has the wires wedged in slots, so there is no exposed copper, meaning they can be worked on with less danger of accidentally taking a customer down or zapping oneself. They require a specific punchdown head (Krone makes their own punchdowns as well), but they are much sturdier than the old 66 blocks and light-years more advanced than the lugs found in older facilities.
However, because there is no copper exposed, one needs a special item to be able to access the pair that is inserted into slot specifically designed for it. It is made out of plastic with two metal pieces for the tip and ring that one can clamp one's butt set, meter or buzzer leads onto. The rub is, nobody ever knew what these things were actually called. We used them just about every damn day, and nobody that I had ever spoken to has given them a name; we just use the term "rocketships" to describe them because of what they look like.
Pictured below are the two different kinds: the one on the left is the older version, which could be disassembled (but was more easily broken), the one on the right is the new, which has a solid plastic casing. The new ones are now packaged in a little plastic bag with part identification on it. They are called "Winged Test Adapters." How very dull. I'll stick with "rocketships."
I took the opportunity to clean out my tool bag yesterday. Naturally, now I can't find anything.
"Ladies and gentlemen, for the interest of clarity and sanity the rest of this movie will not be in Polish."
At the conclusion of a telephone conversation I had with jailnurse last night, he did me the disservice of wishing me good luck on the shoot on Saturday. I am not particularly superstitious, but I did remind him that filmmakers use the theatrical tradition of "break a leg," and wishing someone "good luck" was in fact considered bad luck.
After the conversation, I went on YouTube to see if I could find the scene in To Be Or Not To Be where Bronski (Mel Brooks) admonishes Sobinski (Tim Matheson) for that exact same faux pas. I was not able to, but for some reason this video, entitled "clever but not lucky" about a cat who has some good ideas but bad timing, came up in the search:
Another Stupid Survey
- What was the first cigarette you ever smoked?
- Would you like to fall in love in the next few months?
Only if it is reciprocated in something akin to equal measure.
- What was the reason you last received flowers?
I haven't (gender-specific question?).
- When was the last time someone bought you get well soon stuff?
When I was in the hospital for my gall bladder several years ago.
- Have you ever donated blood?
- Are any of your mom's siblings married?
Yes, he is.
- Do you eat breakfast daily?
- Who was the last person to cook you dinner?
- Have sex on your mind?
I'm a Great Ape, just like every other human. What do you think?
- What movie do you really want to see?
I expect Quantum of Solace to be badass, though I should mention the uneven nature of The Dark Knight is giving me some pause on that front.
- What time will you be getting up tomorrow morning?
6:00 A.M., as usual.
- How are you feeling at this exact moment in time?
Jazzed about Saturday's shoot. And pretty proud that I got a good likeness of our two actors in a few of my storyboards.
- How many candles were on your last birthday cake?
I don't recall.
- Did 11:11 already pass?
Well, 11:11 AM passed already.
- Does your car have a name?
The last car I had was a Saturn called The Bronze Mist. Before that I owned a Toyota named The Zen Room. My Pontiac never had a name, but my first car, an ancient Chrystler, was called Brunhilde.
- What's on your agenda for tomorrow?
There is a meeting in the office in the morning, I have a due date at 365 Park Avenue South, and then I am going out to my parents' house to stay the night in preparation for...
- Any weekend plans?
Saturday is our shoot! Three scenes, fourteen set-ups, two actors and a crew of six.
- Will you be in bed within twenty minutes?
No, it's just after noon.
- Who was the last friend you were chillin' with?
I hung out with the guys from work Tuesday night.
- What's annoying you right now?
This damn fly that we can't seem to get.
- What color shirt are you wearing?
It's Thursday, I'm wearing my union colors (red).
- Do you have any piercings?
- What were you doing at midnight last night?
- What was the last thing that made you laugh?
- What's your favorite season?
Autumn. I love the colors and the holidays.
- What woke you up this morning?
The alarm clock.
- Do you believe that you can change for someone?
To an extent.
- Have you ever seen somebody get shot?
I am a filmmaker, I shoot people and places.
- What is the last movie that you watched?
Still Gladiator. A silly film, but it's depiction of an idiot manchild stealing the power of the most powerful nation on Earth and grossly mismanaging it has some resonance in this day and age.
- Who was the last person you cried in front of?
I can't remember. It's been a while.
- Have you ever changed clothes in a vehicle?
Yes, when we went cross-country.
- What is the last non-alcoholic beverage you had?
- Are you scared of spiders?
- Last thing you got in the mail?
- How late did you stay up last night?
11:30 or so.
- Have you met anybody new lately?
A few weeks ago; it didn't end up going anywhere, but it was at least diverting.
- Last night, did you go to sleep smiling?
No, but I wasn't frowning either.
- Did you have a good day yesterday?
It was all right. Nothing special.
- Was last New Years enjoyable?
- Are you drifting away from someone you were close with?
A constant state.
- Three feelings you feel at the moment?
Bored, excited, wistful.
- The highlight of your week?
Completing the storyboards.
- What's the last tattoo you got?
I don't have any tattoos.
- What do you usually do first in the morning?
Go to the bathroom!
- Are you mad at anybody right now?
A little annoyed, perhaps.
- What x-rays have you gotten, and what's the most recent one taken?
I haven't had one for a very long while.
- How many different beverages have you had today?
Two, coffee and water.
- If alcohol were banned, what would your reaction be?
I'd shrug. I'm not much of a drinker, I only do it socially.
- Are you named after a grandparent?
A great grandparent.
- Where do you wish you were right now?
Either the Untamed World of Intoxicated Nurses or in the Temple of the Wild Sorority Girls of Planet Playtex. Apologies to Berkley Breathed.
- What should you be doing right now?
Checking out my future.
- If something was wrong, who is the 2 first boys you would go to?
jailnurse or suitboyskin.
- If something was wrong, who is the 2 first girls you would go to?
aerolyndt or waystone.
- Who was the last person you yelled at?
I haven't yelled at anybody in a while. All of my recent heated arguments have been online, no yelling involved.
- Are you thinking of anything right now?
- If someone liked you right now, would you want them to tell you?
Yes, damn it. I tend to find out that people were interested in me long after it is possible to do anything about it.
- Do you think you have made a difference in anyone's life?
- Do you remember the name of your first school you ever went to?
It was a YM/YWHA in Flushing (nursery school).
- Do you like to spend time with people?
To an extent. My brother was born when I was seventeen, so psychologically I am an only child and have a people-threshold.
- Were you sad at all this week?
There were times when I thought of lost opportunities.
- Do you wear the hood on your sweatshirt?
I would and have.
- Do you have any obsessions right now?
The shoot for The Early Mixes (obviously) and Ennio Morricone's scores for Sergio Corbucci Westerns.
- Do you like who you are, as a person?
Yes. I'm not perfect, but am honest and creative.
- Have you ever liked someone way older than you?
- Have you ever been a gymnast or a cheerleader?
- Has anyone ever told you they want to spend the rest of their life with you?
Yes, but they were full of it.
- What's something you eat or drink other people would think is nasty?
- Are you trying to avoid liking somebody at the moment?
- When was the last time someone called you baby?
In the phone company, one often deals with older women of color that use the term frequently.
- When was the last time you had an argument?
Tuesday, I had a (civil) argument with a co-worker who thought we were still on the gold standard.
- When was the last time you were really confused?
Earlier this week.
- Whose birthday is coming up?
I don't know... I would never remember my own birthday if my mother didn't make a big deal out of it every year.
- Were you happy when you woke up?
- Would you do anything to have someone back in your life?
- Who was your last missed call from?
Heh... it was a callout from my manager to work on Sunday, and it was deliberately missed.
- Do you plan on moving out in the next year?
- Opposite sex on your mind?
Always. Didn't I mention my taxonomic classification earlier?
- What are you currently doing besides this?
Sitting... breathing... my heart is beating...
- What's the last thing you ate?
A corncake with cheese, for breakfast.
- Is there a person of the opposite sex who means a lot to you?
There are a lot of women I care about, although none I'm currently into at present.
- Are you going be home alone tonight?
Yes. Why, are you planning on murdering me?
- What are you doing tonight?
Paying bills, putting all the necessary equipment together for Saturday and possibly watching some Torchwood.
- How has this week been so far?
- When is the last time you took a nap?
Yesterday at work.
- What person(s) do you trust the most?
My closest friends.
- Is someone mad at you right now?
Most likely. I can't be bothered.
- Do you ever hang out with someone of the opposite sex?
- When was the last time you were sick?
Two weeks ago. I still have a little cold.
- What are you looking forward to?
Saturday! Oh, and Hallowe'en and Thanksgiving.
- Last time you talked to someone out loud?
Just now. I changed the audio notification on my phone for receiving an IM, and one of my co-workers asked somebody else if it was their phone, and I told him it was mine. Wasn't that a fascinating story?
- Name a person that you instantly smile when you see they're calling.
Nobody of late.
- If your friends warn you about someone, do you listen?
Heh... I do now!
- Does it take a lot to make you cry?
It takes a grand pre-battle speech or a daring act of self-sacrifice in a movie.
- When you say you don't care, do you mean it?
Why would I say something I don't mean?
- Is your current relationship simple or complicated?
There isn't one.
- Are you satisfied with what you currently have in life?
I could use a harem.
- Is there anyone you need to talk to right now?
Not at present.
- Where is the person you like right now?
There isn't one at the moment.
- Did anything brighten up your day today?
Seeing three disconnects in my job list (meaning no work today).