Ironically, director Nicholas Meyer specifically selected Dr. Rózsa to score the film because he wanted an anachronistic sound, but by the time the film was completed and released in 1979, the symphonic motion picture score was back in vogue. Nevertheless, Rózsa's distinctive style gave the film a unique flavor, perfectly dovetailing with Malcolm MacDowell's amiable performance as H.G. Wells.
All these long years I've been analyzing how people react to movies. I have compiled the following only slightly tongue-in-cheek list that gives you the basics of their critical acumen of people I know:
- ANDREA: "I didn't see it."
- ART: "It was... okay."
- CHARLIE: "There weren't enough titties!"
- CHRISTY: "The score was by one of my favorite composers!"
- DAN: "That movie sucked!" (he hasn't seen it)
- DRE: "The bootleg I bought in the subway is a pretty good copy." (it isn't)
- ERIC: "The wife and I watched it last night after we put the kids to bed and enjoyed it."
- JASON: "The film was designed to evoke the era in which it was set, and to that end it works beautifully.
- JEN: "It was good, but it would have been better if Sting had done the end title song."
- LENNY: "That movie kicked ass!"
- NAOMI: "I would hate to think of what a sensitive child might come away from this movie feeling!"
- NATE: "It was okay, but it was no Anchorman."
- PATSY: "The book was better."
- RAZ: "It was one of the best movies ever" or "One of the worst movies I've ever seen." (either one)
- RUSS: "The movie was tremendous!"
- RYAN: "I found the psychological underpinnings of the characters to have been slightly flawed but interesting."
- SAADIA: "I didn't like it. It had white people in it."
- SANDY: "I think the director was trying too hard to be like Godard."
- SARA: "I'm going to write an extremely long and emotionally charged blog essay about it."
- TIM: "I liked how the New Testament structure gives way to more ancient mythic forms."
- TYRONE: "That shit was off the hook!"
- Let's start with your name.
- Was the last person you kissed physically attractive?
It was my mom, you sick bastard.
- Did you have a good birthday this year?
Last year? Yes. This year? I hope so.
- When do you blow out the candles?
I can't remember the last time I blew out candles.
- Where is your most ticklish spot?
My underarms. My brother is an expert.
- Who was the last person to high five you?
- Do people ever think you're older / younger than you actually are?
They used to think I was older. Now they get it right.
- Last thing you ate?
Pasta e fagiola and a chocolate orange pecan scone.
- What is the last non-alcoholic beverage you had?
- Are you disappointed in anyone?
- How late did you stay up last night?
Later than I meant to, I'll tell you that for free. Goddamn FaceBook Scrabble.
- Where did you get the shirt your wearing?
The Union Local.
- Sunrise or Sunset?
- How many piercings do you have?
- Do you have a cell phone?
Two, in fact.
- Where are your parents from?
Both were born and raised in New York City.
- Are you anyone's first love?
- The last person you kissed needs you at 3 AM, would you go?
I told you, it was my mom. Of course I'd go.
- Would you honestly say you'd risk your life for someone else?
I would indeed for a family member or one of my friends.
- Has someone ever told you they want to spend the rest of their life with you?
- Have you ever kissed an ex after you have broken up?
- Have you ever punched a wall, door, etc?
Yes I have.
- Honestly, if you could go back 1 month and change something would you?
I might have played some of my Scrabble games differently...
- Do you believe in forever?
Well, eventually enough stars will collapse into themselves that the gravitational wells of the resulting black holes will reverse the expansion of the universe. So no.
- How do you feel about girls smoking?
I've only ever been with girls that did smoke. I wouldn't mind dating another non-smoker, though.
- Could you see yourself with someone forever?
No, because eventually we will die.
- What was the first thing you thought when you woke up?
"Damn, I have to go to the office this morning."
- Do you forgive or forget?
I forgive. Forgetting comes in time.
- What are you thinking about right now?
Why is this meme asking me "What are you thinking about right now?" when it should be obvious that I'm thinking about completing the meme?
- Do you like Techno music?
Not on its own, but I have heard some techno-influenced film scores that I've enjoyed.
- Have you ever truly been in love with someone?
- Do you trust people?
If they earn my loyalty, they have my trust.
- What are you looking forward to?
Mostly releases of music coming this year.
- Do you get mad easily?
Only at work!
- Has anyone ever told you you have pretty eyes?
Yes, actually. All the time. No, I'm not joking.
- Can you keep a secret?
I am not at liberty to answer that question.
- Do you have strange dreams?
I rarely remember my dreams. The ones I do remember are either very strange or completely mundane.
- Do you have a reason to smile right now?
Yes, FSM just announced Miklós Rózsa's Time After Time score!!!
- If you just drank 15 beers, what would you be doing?
The question is flawed, as I loathe beer and couldn't choke down one, much less fifteen.
- Ever licked someone's cheek or forehead?
- What do you carry with you at all times?
Keys, wallet, cellphones.
- Have you thought about an ex today?
As a matter of fact, I have.
- Where is the person who has your heart at the moment?
There is nobody fitting that description at present.
- Do you think a lot of people think bad things about you?
I'm sure. There's little I can do about that, however.
- Would you date someone who lived in another state?
I'm not into women who are in liquid or gaseous states. Seriously, though, I think I'm done with long-distance relationships.
- When's the last time you said you were fine, but really weren't?
I don't say I'm fine if I'm not.
- Could you handle a long distance relationship?
I've tried. I'm not sure that they're worthwhile anymore.
- Have you ever been called heartless?
No, which is actually surprising if you stop to think about it.
- Relationships or one night stands?
I've never had a one night stand (although I've had relationships that would have been better off left as one night stands), so I don't have a basis for comparison.
- Have you ever loved someone who didn't love you back?
Most of the time.
- When was the last time you wanted to punch someone in their face?
Last time I saw a clip of Bill O'Reilly spouting off some nonsensical, hypocritical bullshit.
- Do you have a friend you can tell stuff to and you're sure they won't tell?
- Has anyone ever told you they love you?
- When was the last time you were disappointed?
The latest vMobile upgrade didn't solve any of its problem.
- Is there anyone who doesn't like you?
There are quite a few people, I'm sure.
- What happened at 9:00 am today?
My manager and I went over my G550 form, which grades my performance.
- What were you doing at 7:00 AM?
Getting ready for work.
- What were you doing 1 hour ago?
I was at the post office.
- What was the last thing you said aloud?
I helped Charlie out with the crossword puzzle.
- What was the last thing you bought?
Coffee, pasta e fagiola and an orange chocolate pecan scone. Haven't you been paying attention?
- Do you laugh a lot?
Not a lot, but often enough.
- What's bothering you right now?
There is not enough work in our shop.
- Can you sleep without blankets covering you?
I can catnap, but that's just about it.
- Do you sleep a lot?
I love to sleep.
- Whats the first thing you did when you woke up this morning?
I went to the bathroom.
- What were you doing at ten last night?
The aforementioned FaceBook Scrabble.
- Do you like to cuddle?
Yes, with women or cats.
- Will you be sleeping alone tonight?
- What do you currently hear?
I have Elmer Bernstein's Ghostbusters theme running through my head.
- Do you consider yourself lucky?
I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?Actually, I don't believe in luck.
- Have you ever found yourself worrying about commitment?
Not really; I tend to invest myself fully in relationships, for good or ill.
- Have you ever confessed your feelings to a crush?
Yes... they were "very flattered." Gee, thanks.
- Last place you hugged someone?
T'was more of my family, from the same time I kissed my mom.
- Do you have a reason to smile right now?
I don't have a reason not to.
- Is someone on your mind right now?
No, not at present.
- Do you feel that your previous relationships were a waste of time?
No. While they may have had their unpleasant periods, I learned from each one of them.
- Were you mad about the way you woke up this morning?
Not mad, just annoyed.